John Luna-Sparks, clinic director
A licensed acupuncturist and herbalist in the state of California and a nationally certified diplomate, clinic director John Luna-Sparks (he/him) is also the head Tai Chi instructor at White Magnolia. He was inspired to enter the field of Chinese medicine after suffering a debilitating neck injury that left him bedridden for four months. With acupuncture and Tai Chi, he was able to avoid surgery, come off painkillers and antidepressants, and resume his life again. “I wanted to help other people in pain see that there are time-honored avenues that really work,” he says. “Sometimes we need to remove barriers that get in the way of natural healing. Chinese medicine works by addressing root causes, identifying an imbalance, and restoring balance.”
“I wanted to help other people in pain see that there are time-honored avenues that really work,” he says. “Sometimes we need to remove barriers that get in the way of natural healing. Chinese medicine works by addressing root causes, identifying an imbalance, and restoring balance.”
John graduated in 2015 from the Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences in Oakland, California, with a master’s degree in traditional Chinese medicine. After acupuncture school, John completed the intensive Acupuncture Sports Medicine apprenticeship program with Dr. Whitfield Reaves, who pioneered the use of acupuncture with Western orthopedics. Previously John was a Licensed Clinical Social Worker at Children’s Hospital in Oakland, California. He continues is private psychotherapy practice.
“I am passionate about helping others take charge of their health care, as I did, with options that target the root cause of the pain and minimize the use of drugs and surgery,” he says.
Licensure and certification
- California Licensed Acupuncturist, AC 16975
- NCCAOM Diplomate, National Board Certification (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine)
- Acupuncture Sports Medicine Apprenticeship Program with Dr. Whitfield Reaves (completed the program twice)
- Teaching Assistant for Dr. Whitfield Reaves
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, LCS 18924
- Certified Self Defense Instructor, Kidpower Teenpower Fullpower, International
- Member, California State Oriental Medicine Association
Additional training and study
- Whitfield Reaves, OMD, L.Ac.
- Dr. Miriam Marsolais, PhD
- John Nieters, L.Ac., DAOM
- Robert Levine, LAc